Monday, July 6, 2015

Monday Made It

With both of my boys at Winshape day camp today, I was able to work in our media center all day long.  Speaking of media centers, do you guys have a media center where you teach?  Our center is filled with a few thousand die cuts, laminators, printers, poster makers, etc., etc., etc.  Boy was I in heaven ALL day long.  They even supply the scrapbook paper for projects for our classrooms. 

 Anyways, this post is not about how great our media center is, it is supposed to be about what I made.  So this week I'm linking up with 4th grade Frolics for her Monday Made It!!

I have two projects that I made today - well if truth be told, one is a complete ready to use made it and one is almost finished.  

For my first project, I made a set of privacy folders.  These folders are placed at each desk in every group so that when students have work that is graded, they can put them up to prevent wandering eyes.  Our media center loves us so much that they already have these pre-cut which is AMAZING.  If you are interested in making these on your own, the dimensions are 9 inches wide by 11 inches tall for the sides and 10 inches wide by 11 inches tall for the middle.  It is made of thick white posterboard with a type of painter's tape to hold it together. 



This is my in progress shot.  I would lay the three pieces side by side taping the seams together.  Next, I decorated each privacy folder with a wave and a ship since I have a nautical theme.  Remember when I said that our media center even supplies the scrapbook paper?  Oh the choices were totally overwhelming so I have MANY MANY different designs! 









After decorating all of them, I laminated each one so that they will hopefully hold together for a few years!  Here is a sample of the finished product with the sides extended.  



I just LOVE how they turned out!







 


My second project is almost finished.   I worked on book bucket labels  for my classroom.  For the last year, my library has been labeled with handwritten numbers on plain white paper which is fine but I really wanted something that matched my decor.  

I LOVE my classroom library.  Thanks to garage sales, local library donations and Scholastic book orders our class library has over 300 books in it!!  It takes up multiple shelves in our classroom.  Throughout the last year, I've bought plastic boxes from the Dollar Tree (LOVE that store) to put our books in.  




They never really had enough boxes so I would buy all that they had and wait until the next holiday season to buy some more.  Little did I know that you can order your Dollar Tree items from their website with free shipping!!  Did you know that??  You can order these buckets here.  Each bucket contains one level of books for our Accelerated Reader program.  

SO....I had the buckets but my labels were boring....remember that scrapbook paper I used for my privacy folders?  I used that same paper for frames on my labels.  Then I di-cut each number and laminated them. 




 I'm so excited about these!!  It will give some consistency to my library and will allow me to trash those awful handwritten ones.  Seriously my handwriting is atrocious!





I still need to go to school and affix them to the buckets but for now, I'm done!!  Thanks for reading along on my Monday Made It!  Hope you have a wonderful week!

6 comments:

  1. Your privacy folders turned out so cute. I really need to order some buckets off of Dollar Tree. Thank you so much for the suggestion. I pinned it to remind myself to order them.
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! It was WAY past time to make new ones!! The buckets are a lifesaver but they are not super durable. However, they were only $1 so I don't feel too bad when one cracks. Have a great day!

      Delete
  2. Wow! That media center sounds amazing! Is it for your school or district? I can't believe it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is for our district and it is amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All your projects look so great! I love them. I love the privacy folders. I teach 4th and we haven't used them in 4th but I keep thinking we should. Maybe I'll make some. Thanks for the inspiration!
    Janie
    Are We There Yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem!! I made so much more today at the media center! I can't wait to share again on Monday! An easier way to make the privacy folder is to use two manila folders and lay them so that the end of one overlaps the end of the other. Tape one side, flip and tape the other side. Then place decor and laminate. That's what I have used in the past and when handled gently they last one year.

      Delete