Friday, June 24, 2016

Did you know........

There are some great Youtube videos out there for use in our classrooms BUT.....if your district is like mine, Youtube is blocked and sometimes for good reason.   Ya'll, some of those ads that come up on the videos I want to watch are NOT kid appropriate!  

Thanks Google Images for this cutie!
Since I can't show Youtube via the website in my classroom, I have found a work around in order to be able to show those great tutorials and videos while being totally compliant with my district.  

First, I go to Youtube and find the video I want to show.  Watch the whole thing so that I know that NOTHING bad happens in the video.   Then, go to the toolbar and type ss right before the word youtube.  For example, say I want to show my students this adorable remake of Uptown Funk to my kids that is located at  - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fan6ggvh4U  so in the web address bar at the top I would type ss in front of youtube so that it looks like https://www.ssyoutube.com/watch?v=6fan6ggvh4U .  After typing it, hit enter and it will take you to a page where you can download the Youtube video you watched and you will be able to show it to your students without using the website.  Also, this keeps the ads and other words from appearing during the video that your students watch.  


That is a lifesaver at school but at home quite often my sons scour Youtube for video game walkthroughs and videos of their favorite Youtubers.  There is so much junk out there that I don't necessarily want them to see so I have been searching for a way to block a lot of the "junk" that they are not looking for.  For Google chrome users, there are two extensions that help tremendously with this.

First, I enabled Adblock for Youtube.  Now I can watch all the videos I want and I don't have to sit through crazy ads for each one.  Second, DF Youtube (Distraction Free) helps to remove the sidebars on Youtube that sometimes contain the questionable content you don't really want to see.

I know I didn't have many pictures in this post but I do hope that these tips help you!  Let me know if you use them!


Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment